Monday, September 18, 2006

Different Types of Media Publication

I never really realized what a difference reading the same article in two different ways was. I read California Prison Crisis Clock Ticking On Overcrowding in the San Jose Mercury News and found out pros and cons as well as on line the exact same article at http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/15547071.htm. While reading the actual paper I felt really comfortable, I was laying down relaxing. A definite plus is the different sections that come with the actual paper copy of the newspaper, while I was reading my story on the first page my friend Jesus asked me for the sports page I simply handed him that section and at the same time we enjoyed our reading. Then I realized that there are bad things as well, I had to walk to the coffee shop in the library and purchase my newspaper there. Then as I was reading the beginning of the story I have to decide whether the story is interesting enough to continue and therefore look for the page in which the story is continued. Now the fonts and pictures do make it more interesting and eye catching on paper. At least for the article I choose there were no pictures on line in comparison to the paper you can visibly see the over crowding of the prisons.
Now on line I found it a bit more convenient. I went to the search line typed in the name of my article and was able to read it consecutively by scrolling down with my mouse. How ever it was a bit inconvenient to sit and relax with a laptop in my hands. It also lacked a structure which the layout is different than what we are used to. Now a definite plus is that I got it for free I paid nothing for my article, yet I have to consider it is less tangible.
So now I am left more confused than before, on line or paper? Well I would have to say that at the time I prefer the paper because I find the on-line version isn't as complete. Now maybe if a smart person came along and composed a good online format that was better I would be open to change. I have to say that i enjoyed the on-line version and well, who knows what change will be brought on. Maybe those of us that are content with our paper version will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: