Monday, October 02, 2006

New Media? Old Media?

At the Wikipedia website I found this article about the classification of new media and old media (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_media). At first I was puzzled, but soon after I realized it ties in to what we have been talking about in class. It goes into stating that books, newspapers, magazines and television, to an extent, all fall into this category. How can the things that I was used to while growing up be old, I mean, I feel young right? But it goes so much deeper than that; it is a form of media that has been surpassed. The new forms of media are essential to my every day life. I use them and could not imagine the world with out them.
Then they also say the forms of new media are easier for marketing and advertising. They also engage the public in two way conversations trough the Internet, instead of being one dimensional. New media included web sites, email, CD/DVD, electronic kiosks, mobile and there are much more. The development of this new media, to me, is astonishing. It just shows how our world is developing into a technology oriented market. The fact that there are actual classifications that state what old media is, is a bit frightening, but at the same time it is exciting and convenient to use them. I really feel that before I was exposed to material such as this I had no notion of how much the world was changing. Now that I have an understanding of my surroundings, I feel as if we are part of a changing world. Just like in the past, when things were used and then discarded, we are doing the same today.

No comments: